Cosmetics and Beauty retailer Sephora has announced a set of baseline standards for CBD-infused products it will carry, as they prepare to add a fourth line of hemp-derived topicals to their stores.
The Sephora CBD standards require that CBD products it sells:
- Include only full-spectrum or broad-spectrum CBD extracts, not isolate.
- Source the CBD from U.S.-grown hemp.
- Carry a certificate of authenticity that could be produced for customers upon request.
- Be tested three times for quality and purity.
- Comply with the company’s “Clean Sephora” standards, which ban a long list of ingredients, including parabens, mineral oils and other possible toxins.
A spokeswoman for the company wrote in an email to Hemp Industry Daily that the CBD standards “help provide transparency and assurance to clients as they look to navigate this growing beauty category.”
The Sephora CBD standards came as the company announced it would add six topical CBD treatments from Prima, a Santa Monica, California, company that launched last year. The products include a cream, serum, body butter and mineral soak.
The Prima products join three existing CBD brands on Sephora’s shelves:
- Flora + Bast
- Lord Jones
- Saint Jane